Beginning June 12, the eastern entrance to Waterfront's Expo Line platform will be closed for approximately three weeks. This closure is necessary to ensure customer safety during the replacement of the escalators, which requires the use of heavy machinery.
TransLink has expedited this project while ridership remains low – this will minimize the impact to customers while delivering the project earlier than planned. Once complete, the new escalators will be more durable and reliable for customers using Waterfront Station.
During the construction period, Waterfront Station's Expo Line platform will only be accessible from the western entrance on Howe Street. Customers seeking to transfer between the Expo Line and the Canada Line, SeaBus, or West Coast Express should plan extra travel time into their commute to walk between the Howe Street entrance and the Cordova Street mezzanine.
Importantly, there will be no elevator access to Waterfront Station's Expo Line platform during construction. For customers requiring elevator access, TransLink will be running a shuttle bus service between Waterfront and Burrard stations. The shuttle will run every 15 minutes between 5 am and 10 pm on weekdays, and between 6 am and 10 pm on weekends. Customers can board the shuttle at the following three stops:
- Waterfront's SeaBus Terminal's east parking lot
- On Cordova Street in front of Waterfront Station's main entrance at stop #58202
- On Burrard Street at bus Bay 1 in front of Burrard Station
This critical investment is part of TransLink's initiative to keep escalators operating safely and reliably through the Maintenance and Repair Program. Waterfront Station's escalators were installed over 30 years ago and have seen ridership levels quadruple. The new escalators are designed to support higher volumes of passengers and will have less downtime for maintenance.
For customers requiring elevator access, below is specific advice for each scenario
Customers travelling from SeaBus to Expo Line should:
- Exit SeaBus through the terminal's east exit and take the shuttle bus from the Waterfront SeaBus Terminal's east parking lot to Burrard Station.
Customers travelling from West Coast Express to Expo Line should:
- Exit Waterfront Station through the main entrance on Cordova Street and take shuttle bus from stop #58202 on Cordova Street to Burrard Station.
Customers travelling from Canada Line to Expo Line should:
- Disembark at Vancouver City Centre and transfer to Granville Station.
Customers travelling from Expo Line to West Coast Express or SeaBus should:
- Disembark at Burrard Station and catch shuttle bus at Bay 1 in front of Burrard Station to Waterfront Station.
- Customers transferring to West Coast Express should disembark shuttle at the main Cordova entrance.
- Customers transferring to SeaBus should disembark shuttle at the SeaBus Terminal's east parking lot.
Customers travelling from Expo Line to Canada Line should:
- Disembark at Granville Station and transfer to Vancouver City Centre.
Customers travelling from Expo Line to access Waterfront Station should:
- Disembark at Burrard Station and take the shuttle bus from Bay 1 in front of Burrard Station to Waterfront Station at the main Cordova entrance.
All customers also have the option of taking bus route 50 (South False Creek / Waterfront Station) for transport between Waterfront Station and Granville Station.
Source : TransLink